Wednesday, January 12, 2011

January 12, 2011 - Time For A Cell-Abration!!! - Day 19

Happy Wednesday everyone!

Sorry I haven't posted for a few days but there hasn't been much to write about for day 15, and 16. They were miserable days for Alex. Her rashes were driving her crazy and her surgery site was very painful. We've been in the hospital a month today! YUCK!

Day 17 brought on another bad reaction to platelets so they'll be pre-medicating her for those from now on. They also made note of the person who donated the platelets and she will no longer get those.

Today we have great news! There are cells a happening! Yesterday we had our first signs of cell action. The labs came back yesterday with a white blood count of .3 (which is very low) and some monocytes. This was promising news. Today the news was even better! Alex has a WBC (white blood cell) count of 1.4 This is amazing! BUT, the best part is... she has an ANC today of .100 While this isn't necessarily called "engraftment", she is well on her way. They say it should happen in just a day or two.

I haven't been up at the hospital very much in the past couple of days. Alex's dad has been here and I had some friends fly in from the Chicago area. I have to say, I have the most unbelievable friends in the world! One of my bestie's husband owns a heating and air conditioning company (Arctic Heating and Cooling). Well, they contacted me a few months back and told me they wanted to put in this special light/filter in our furnace to help Alex. It's a PHI light cell, and it's used in many hospitals. These two very special people flew out here for a few days and put this unit in our furnace. I am constantly amazed by people. They wanted to do something that could help Alex and this is what they knew they could do. Amazing! Thank you Kristy and Jeff SO much! I can never ever thank you enough for all you do. I have to send another "thank you" out to a very special woman (another that I have met traveling) Judy. Your generosity is so appreciated! Thank you SO much for everything! I am so blessed with the friends that I have!

That is about all I have for today. It's such great news! Maybe this cute little thing will let me take a picture of her soon so you can see how great she is doing. They say another couple weeks here in the big house :0)

Again... thanks for tuning in and for all the support everyone shows our family. It's incredible!

Blood counts for today are:

WBC - 1.4
Hgb (hemoglobin) - 9.9
Hct (hematocrit/red blood) - 28.9
Platelets - 16
ANC - .100

This is a White Cell... he was a gift for Alex today. Frig'n cute or what?!

This is how many different things they have running into Alex's body

No comments:

Post a Comment