Thursday, March 24, 2011

March 24, 2011 - Out With the Port - Day 90

Hi everyone!

Just an update to let everyone know we had clinic today. Everything looked SO good. Blood counts were great, and liver labs were much better... glucose was normal. OOoh, and she even gained 2.2 lbs. YAY! Everything looked SO good. Soooo good, in fact, that they are taking out her port next week during her Bone Marrow biopsy procedure. I have mixed feelings on this. Of course it is excellent news. I have just dealt with so many disappointing things that I hope they are not taking it out too soon. I will just put on my positive face and hope this is the end of the damn lines hanging out of her. I know this port has been nothing but trouble for her. Hell, it hasn't even healed all the way yet. I know she will love to take a normal shower again. We have to tape her all up every day, and it's not a relaxing shower at all. SO... out with the port!

I would say that the last week Alex has really turned the corner I was so hoping to see. Just this week is the first time since December that I have not had to bathe my adult daughter. She finally felt able to take a shower on her own. This is an incredible step. She's been up and making her own coffee... even brought up a book this week to read. These are all such great things to see. Of course with feeling better is bringing EXTREME boredom! We've gotten out a few times and walked around the block. You can really see her strength getting better and she is up and engaged all day. It's been VERY nice.

The end of our clinic today brought a HUGE list of appointments over the next 2 weeks that will be her 100 day work-up. There is a gynecology appointment, another pulmonary function test, opthalmology appointment, a family conference, and more labs. All this along with another Bone Marrow biopsy and the port surgery. The next two weeks should be pretty busy.

That's about all I have for today. It was a super great appointment and only lasted an hour. It was very very good!

Thank you to everyone sending good vibes!!! Please don't stop. They are working :O) I will update more after her pulmonary testing is done on Tuesday. WE ARE GETTING THERE!!! Wooohoooo!

10 more days until day 100.... and 10 more days until Alex's 21st birthday. Woohooo!


2 comments:

  1. Getting my CVC out was one of the best feelings. So happy to see things moving ahead.

    ReplyDelete